Saturday, June 24

HRC Dinner

Going to a nice event takes a lot of preparation. You have to wear nice clothes, have nice hair, and get ready to talk to nice people and not-so-nice people and be friendly.

Normally, I cut my own hair but I didn't have time today (nor the last time before the Jefferson-Jackson dinner). It saves so much time and feels so good to have someone else cut my hair.

I picked up Megan at her house ("What happened to your hair?!") and we went to Fashion Place mall to pick up a few items to complete my outfit. When I went shopping with Megan earlier this week, I wrote that I only bought a shirt. In actuality, I bought a new suit! I wasn't going to, but when I walked into Express for Men and saw cute suits, I knew that I needed to buy a new one. Needless to say, I bought more than a cute shirt at Nordstrom Rack.

Unfortunately, the cute shirt I bought necessitated cuff links and I didn't have any (though when I got to the mall and saw Brian, he reminded me that we actually had them). I also needed a belt and a tie.

Megan and I went to Dillards and I had a great time picking out clothes and dressing at the same time. I picked out a really cute belt and Megan found some nice cuff links. It took us awhile to find a tie that would match, but Megan found the perfect one! If politics doesn't work out for her, she should do men's fashion cause she's really good.

Brian thought I looked really good and I'm glad he did. He wasn't as mad at me for spending $139 on a new suit because I looked so hot! Haha...

Getting ready in Dillards


Brian helps me with my cufflinks

On the drive down to Bruce Bastian's mansion, I was most excited about dancing. I haven't been dancing since Mexico and I really want to get my groove on. Last year, the dancing at the HRC event was my favorite part!

When we first got there to register, the guest speaker of the night, Rt. Rev. Gene Robinson, was thanking volunteers for the work they were doing. I thought that was very classy and later told him so when we finally met. As we were talking, I realized what a great man he is and knew that he was doing God's work. I had a good feeling in my soul as I talked to him and am glad that I was lucky enough to meet him.

Me and Gene Robinson

I had a VIP wristband (because of course I'm a Very-Important-Person) so I was able to enjoy the comforts of being a VIP (free drinks). The last time I had any alcohol was in Mexico, so I thought I could drink some tonight. Unfortunately, too much of a good thing can be bad. I had four drinks before dinner.

After the reception stopped serving drinks, I walked around outside to meet and greet people. I had such a blast! I saw lots of people I knew and met some new friends.

I sat at a table with Senator Scott McCoy and others. I sat next to Xander Gordon, a guy I never thought I'd be sitting at a table with ever again. He dated one of my old roommates, Ty Mortensen, and was a complete jerk. In talking to him, I realized that things haven't changed.

The HRC Dinner

"The" HRC Dinner

Two glasses of wine later, the night started to blend together. I called Russell to see if he could drive Megan and I home, but he said that he was already in Salt Lake. I text messaged Brian to ask if he could pick us up and he only got upset because I drank too much.

Everything would have been worth it if there was dancing, but there wasn't. I was really disappointed that instead of dancing, I had to walk around and talk with people again. Sure, it's fun, but I'd much rather be dancing to disco music like last year.

I needed to sober up, so Josh Moon walked me around and got me coffee. The walk was nice but the coffee was gross. I drank two and later realized that it was a bad idea.

The end of the night.

Megan wasn't drunk so she drove my car home. Before we got on the freeway, she pulled over and allowed me to throw-up. I got back into the car and fell asleep. When I got home, I went straight to bed.

1 Comments:

At 6/30/2006 1:53 PM, Blogger meg said...

Yeah, you were pretty WASTED that night.

But that's okay because you looked REALLY good in that suit!

Sorry though, I don't think I'll ever go back to retail...I mean, have you seen the kind of people who work retail in malls? Ew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home